Care with compassion
Our patient and family services are provided completely free of charge. This is made possible by the caring individuals, groups and businesses in our community who give so generously, and the support of trusts and foundations.
Care at home
Our home care services enable people to be cared for in the familiar surroundings of their own homes with the reassuring knowledge that Harris HospisCare’s skilled and compassionate support is available
24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- At any moment in time our home care nurses are caring for around 140 people.
- Our nurses made 3,076 home visits to support dying people and those close to them.
- We cared for 383 new patients.
- Our services enabled 55% of our patients to die with dignity in their own homes or care homes.
"Over the past few months, you looked after Mum with great care, compassion and kindness. Through all your visits and phone calls, you gave Mum a great comfort knowing you were there looking after her. We can’t thank you enough for your support."
"I would like to take this opportunity to say a very, very big thank you to your welfare officer at Harris. Without her professional knowledge, support and help, we would not be in a position to have paid off our mortgage. She has given me and my husband peace of mind, plus more time to be together."
Planned day care at the Caritas Centre
Services delivered at the Caritas Centre include specialist clinics, social and welfare support, bereavement support, relaxation and complementary therapies. We also help with life’s practicalities such as taking a bath in a supportive environment.
- There were 1,111 day care attendances at the Caritas Centre.
- 124 patients and their families were supported by our social worker.
- Our Welfare Officer supported 102 patients and families.
- Over 100 individuals received bereavement support.
- We restructured the way we work in the Caritas Centre, improving our efficiency and cost-effectiveness by giving a clincal nurse specialist the responsibility for a group of patients who attend the Centre.
- We successfully established a fortnightly carers support group, largely managed by volunteers.
- The impact of our newly established discharge support group is being evaluated.
Close links with and support for the PRUH
Harris HospisCare continues its very close links with the Princess Royal University Hospital (the PRUH):
- Our consultant visits the PRUH for two sessions a week to support ward patients with complex end of life symptom control needs.
- These sessions enable close follow-up and continuity for Harris HospisCare’s community patients who may be admitted to the hospital.
- To achieve efficiencies, three hospitals (the PRUH, Queen Elizabeth at Woolwich and Queen Mary’s in Sidcup) merged to form the South London Healthcare Trust. Our consultant worked closely with the trust to help the palliative care teams to merge and work collaboratively together.
"At the Princess Royal University Hospital our support helps patients with all kinds of advanced, progressive illnesses - not just cancer – that includes heart failure, lung and neurological conditions."
Dr Louise Exton, Harris HospisCare
Lymphoedema Clinic eases swollen limbs
Harris HospisCare’s specialist lymphoedema service continued to provide welcome relief from pain and discomfort for patients both at the Caritas Centre and in a clinic at the Princess Royal University Hospital.
Lymphoedema is a chronic, incurable condition that causes severe swelling of the limbs, or parts of the body. It can be triggered by trauma, cancer, surgery or radiotherapy. The condition causes great discomfort and can lead to psychological worries and depression.
- 151 new patients were supported.
- Around 25 people took part in our support group’s quarterly meetings which included guest speakers and discussions on alternative therapies and self-management techniques.
- We ran a successful pilot exercise class using Lebed gentle exercise techniques which help to encourage the lymph system to drain excess fluid.
"I was almost in despair as every aspect of my life was being affected by my swollen painful legs. Fortunately through all your efforts and the bandage treatment my legs have really gone down and best of all I have lost five kilos in weight! My mobility has improved and my general health is so much better. I am over the moon and I cannot thank Harris HospisCare enough because I was desperate for somebody to help me and I feel very lucky that you did.”"
"We both appreciated the courtesy and politeness received from the members of staff at the Lymphoedema Clinic... They managed to succeed within a few weeks with what we have been trying to get implemented for a few years."